|SteelSeries Simraceway SRW-S1 Wheel
Featured Reviews: Input Devices
| Written by Steven Iglesias-Hearst
|Tuesday, 03 January 2012
Page 4 of 6
SteelSeries Simraceway Features
- Portability and Authenticity - Unique hybrid design brings a true-to-life racing experience to your laptop or desktop computer without the set-up, storage or transportation hassles of a wheel-and-pedal set.
- Full Range Acceleration and Braking - A patent-pending, hand-controlled paddle system on the rear of the wheel produces full-range acceleration and braking, providing drivers with the same subtlety of control as high-end wheel sets and real-world cars.
- Optimized Design - Over 20 on-wheel buttons and dials, each one optimized for easy access, and two ergonomically-designed rubberized grips ensure drivers stay in complete control.
- Plug-and-Play with Simraceway - No complicated configuration required when used with Simraceway. No device drivers to load, no bamboozling set-up process to follow, simply plug-and-race.
- Compatible with PC Racing Games - Can be used with most PC racing games although some features, including the assists dials and the shift indicator LEDs, may not be compatible with certain titles.
- Complete Customizability - Many of the SRW-S1 Steering Wheel's controls can be customized to suit the driving and gaming preferences of individual players.
SteelSeries SRW-S1 Specifications
|Ready. Set. Race. - The Simraceway S1 Steering Wheel is a high-performance, handheld PC racing wheel co-designed by SteelSeries and Ignite Technologies. The portable, motion-sensor wheel features a patented throttle and brake lever system that offers a fully simulated racing experience within hands reach. We've collaborated with and tested the SRW-S1 Wheel with top ranked Indy 500 race car drivers and Simracing World Champions.
|Stay in Control - Everything you need, from brake balance controls to assist setting dials, are always in reach. No other wheel on the market combines this level of customization and functionality.
|In Your Hands - The wheel's unique design means you can take it everywhere and use it anywhere. There are no pedal sets or bulky seats. The Simraceway S1 is a handheld joypad and wheel combined that brings a true-to-life race set-up to your laptop or desktop computer.
|Full Range - You can experience full-range acceleration and braking on the back of the S1 Wheel. The right paddle - for acceleration/throttle - allows you the ability to vary the amount of throttle input, from feathering to fully depressing it for maximum acceleration. The paddle on the left - for braking/stopping - allows you the ability to vary the amount of braking input, from feathering to fully depressing for full braking force.
|Brake Balance Control - Brake balance control (aka "brake bias") allows you to change the brake balance to the front or rear of the vehicle. If a driver were to hit the brakes with a rear brake bias, he is more likely to spin out of control. However, if a driver were to hit the brakes with a front brake bias, his is more likely losing his ability to steer into a corner. A balance must be found. We have a button for that.
|Plug-and-Race - Plug it in. Choose your game. Play. Sure, you can customize every button, but only if you want to. There is no complicated configuration required when used with Simraceway and most PC racing games.
|What's Your Style? - The SRW-S1 wheel adapts to your driving style based on the way you steer. You're going to do it in 1 of 3 ways: Over-steer, under-steer and neutral.
Drivers who prefer over-steer like to have the rear of the car loose and the front dialed in. This allows drivers to use the throttle to correct their driving line or to use it to aid in steering. It also means there is more risk of losing control.
Drivers who prefer under-steer like to have the rear of the car dialed in and the front loose. While it becomes harder to make a turn at higher speeds, it does provide stability and reduces the chances of losing control.
Drivers who prefer a neutral setup like to have both the rear and the front of the vehicle dialed in. This allows drivers to compromise between over-steer and under-steer.
|Where to? - Everywhere. The Simraceway S1 Steering Wheel can be used with all PC racing games including:
Need For Speed
Live for Speed
+ Any other PC racing game on the market.
(Some features, including the Assists dials and the shift indicator LEDs, may not be compatible with certain titles).
|Get a Grip - The rubberized wheel grips have an ergonomic shape that allows you to keep a comfortable grasp to steer as you move around the controller to brake, accelerate, shift, look back, request a pit stop and everything else in order to drive and win.
|Total Flexibility - While the wheel comes preconfigured to operate seamlessly with Simraceway, many of its controls can be customized, so you can program them to match your driving - and gaming - preferences. Find out more about the simulated racing experience at www.simraceway.com.
|Used by the Pros - The SRW-S1 Steering Wheel has been tested and approved by professional racing drivers including four-time IndyCar Series winner, Dario Franchitti and double Indy 500 Champion, the late, great and much missed Dan Wheldon. As well as SimRacing stars, David Greco and Bruno Marques.
Source: Features and Specifications taken from SteelSeries.com and SteelSeries Press Release.